Sauerbraten Patties Recipe
This family favorite was made by my mother back in the '20s. A roast was out of the question on our budget, but chopped meat was only pennies a pound. -Chris Christoffers, Lake Worth, Florida
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 gingersnaps, crumbled
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, 3/4 cup water, bread crumbs, onion, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown patties on both sides; drain. Add the broth, vinegar, brown sugar, cloves, bay leaf, gingersnaps and remaining water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink. Discard cloves and bay leaf. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 297 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 665 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC