- Cut slits into each lamb shank; insert garlic slices. Place in a
- large shallow nonmetallic bowl; add the remaining marinade. Cover
- and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade from lamb. Place flour in a shallow bowl;
- coat lamb shanks with flour. In a stockpot, brown shanks on all
- sides in 1/3 cup oil in batches. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions in remaining oil. Add reserved
- marinade. Return shanks to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 1-3/4 hours. Add carrots and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until carrots
- are tender.
- Remove shanks to a cutting board. Skim fat from cooking juices. Stir
- in cookie crumbs and bouillon. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch
- and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return meat to the
- gravy; heat through. Yield: 6 servings (about 6 cups gravy).
Nutritional Facts: 1 lamb shank with about 1 cup gravy equals 791 calories, 44 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 199 mg cholesterol, 623 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 55 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.