Saucy Vegetable Tofu
This is my daughter Tonya's favorite meal. Sometimes we make it with rigatoni and call it "Riga-Tonya." It's a great dinner and a nice way to prepare yummy vegetables for the kids. —Sandra Eckert, Pottstown, Pennsylvania
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green or sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- skillet, saute the onion, pepper and zucchini in oil until
- Stir in tofu and spaghetti sauce; heat through. Drain pasta; serve
- with tofu mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups tofu mixture with 2/3 cup pasta equals 274 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 380 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.