Saucy Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of steak. In a pressure cooker, brown steak on both sides in oil; drain. Add carrots, onion, green pepper and celery.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add soup and horseradish. Pour over vegetables.
- Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to fully pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 12 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion or release of steam; adjust heat if needed.) Remove from the heat. Immediately cool according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Saucy Swiss Steak(5)
Sort By :
Super easy, quick, and satisfying. Followed the directions exactly. I might add a tsp of sugar, something I often do when using tomato products. Served it to a male guest and he had extra helpings.
VERY, VERY GOOD!!!! This is an excellent way to prepare the round steak we have when purchasing beef quarters. I don't have a pressure cooker so used my crockpot instead. 8 hours later hubby & I enjoyed a meal that took me 15 minutes to prepare. I'll freeze the leftovers and turn it into beef stew at a later date!!!!
I love pressure cooking! The results are so tender and succulent. I alternate between serving Swiss steak with noodles or mashed potatoes.
when i posted this it posted it as a two star...this is without a doubt a five star recipe!!
oh sooooo good!! my family looked at this and said "ewww gross!" but i have my convinced to at least try something...which they did and loooved it!!