- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of steak. In a pressure cooker, brown steak on both sides in oil; drain. Add carrots, onion, green pepper and celery.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add soup and horseradish. Pour over vegetables.
- Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to fully pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 12 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion or release of steam; adjust heat if needed.) Remove from the heat. Immediately cool according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Saucy Swiss Steak
"THIS WAS EXCELLENT! I worried there wasn't much liquid for the pressure cooker and kept taking sniffs to see if anything was burning, but it turned out there was plenty. Husband likes meat to be tender or he won't eat it, so I felt I was really taking a chance. It was very tender and tasty, and we both had two helpings. I am really pleased with the result. Thank You! I will definitely make this again!"
"Super easy, quick, and satisfying. Followed the directions exactly. I might add a tsp of sugar, something I often do when using tomato products. Served it to a male guest and he had extra helpings."
"VERY, VERY GOOD!!!! This is an excellent way to prepare the round steak we have when purchasing beef quarters. I don't have a pressure cooker so used my crockpot instead. 8 hours later hubby & I enjoyed a meal that took me 15 minutes to prepare. I'll freeze the leftovers and turn it into beef stew at a later date!!!!"
"I love pressure cooking! The results are so tender and succulent. I alternate between serving Swiss steak with noodles or mashed potatoes."
"when i posted this it posted it as a two star...this is without a doubt a five star recipe!!"
"oh sooooo good!! my family looked at this and said "ewww gross!" but i have my convinced to at least try something...which they did and loooved it!!"