Saucy Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 3 to 4 medium zucchini (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 12 ounces Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Reserve pulp. Cook shells in salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and drain. Set aside.
- 2. Chop zucchini pulp. Place pulp in a saucepan; add the sausage, peppers, onion, Italian seasoning and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place zucchini shells in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon filling into shells.
- 3. In a saucepan, melt butter; whisk in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and mustard.
- 4. Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3-4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 346 calories, 23 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 1,126 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.