Saucy Sprouts and Oranges Recipe
“You will win converts to brussels sprouts and enjoy the compliments with this mouthwatering recipe!” writes Carolyn Hannay of Antioch, Tennessee. Citrus and mustard flavor the tasty sauce for this dish, which Carolyn likes to serve with turkey or ham.—Carolyn Hannay, Antioch, Tennessee
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 3 medium navel oranges
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. Finely grate peel of one orange; set peel aside. Cut that orange in half; squeeze juice into a 1-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 1/2 cup; set aside. Peel and discard white membranes from remaining oranges; section them and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and brussels sprouts to a boil. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk cornstarch and reserved orange juice mixture until smooth; add to the butter. Stir in mustard and five-spice powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 4. Drain sprouts; gently stir in orange sections. Transfer to a serving bowl; drizzle with sauce. Sprinkle with almonds and grated orange peel. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 97 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC