Saucy Sprouts and Oranges Recipe
“You will win converts to brussels sprouts and enjoy the compliments with this mouthwatering recipe!” writes Carolyn Hannay of Antioch, Tennessee. Citrus and mustard flavor the tasty sauce for this dish, which Carolyn likes to serve with turkey or ham.Carolyn Hannay, Antioch, Tennessee
- 3 medium navel oranges
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- Finely grate peel of one orange; set peel aside. Cut that orange in half; squeeze juice into a 1-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 1/2 cup; set aside. Peel and discard white membranes from remaining oranges; section them and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and brussels sprouts to a boil. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk cornstarch and reserved orange juice mixture until smooth; add to the butter. Stir in mustard and five-spice powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Drain sprouts; gently stir in orange sections. Transfer to a serving bowl; drizzle with sauce. Sprinkle with almonds and grated orange peel. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Sprouts and Oranges in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p20
Reviews for Saucy Sprouts and Oranges(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Brussels Sprouts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Side Dishes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >