- 3 medium navel oranges
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Finely grate peel of one orange; set peel aside. Cut that orange in half; squeeze juice into a 1-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 1/2 cup; set aside. Peel and discard white membranes from remaining oranges; section them and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and brussels sprouts to a boil. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk cornstarch and reserved orange juice mixture until smooth; add to the butter. Stir in mustard and five-spice powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Drain sprouts; gently stir in orange sections. Transfer to a serving bowl; drizzle with sauce. Sprinkle with almonds and grated orange peel. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Saucy Sprouts and Oranges
"This was an OK side. I think it's more of a taste preference than a bad recipe. I like the fresh oranges and the glaze, I just didn't care for the Chinese five spice powder flavor. So I probably wouldn't make it again. If I did I would definitely substitute that one ingredient... for something."