Saucy Spiced Apple Pie Recipe
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/3 cup DOLE® Canned 100% Pineapple Juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- Additional sugar
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk, pineapple juice and vanilla until well blended.(mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fill crust with apple slices. Top with the creamed mixture.
- 2. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. cut slits in top. Beat egg white; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 583 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (64g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Saucy Spiced Apple Pie
"Wow! wonderfully tasty apple pie, my only problem was that my bottom crust didn't bake, it was soft and mushy. Soooo good!"