Saucy Spiced Apple Pie Recipe
Mom's sweet and saucy apple pie earns a lip-smacking salute from everyone who tastes it. Since it's hard to wait for it to cool, I like to serve slices warm with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream on top.
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- Additional sugar
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk, pineapple juice and vanilla until well blended.(mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fill crust with apple slices. Top with the creamed mixture.
- 2. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. cut slits in top. Beat egg white; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 583 calories, 21 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 274 mg sodium, 96 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC