- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- Additional sugar
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk, pineapple juice and vanilla until well blended.(mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fill crust with apple slices. Top with the creamed mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. cut slits in top. Beat egg white; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Spiced Apple Pie in Country Woman September/October 2002, p33
Reviews for Saucy Spiced Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 28, 2012
Wow! wonderfully tasty apple pie, my only problem was that my bottom crust didn't bake, it was soft and mushy. Soooo good!
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Pie >
- Apple Pie Recipes >
- Apple Pie Recipes with Fresh Apples >
- Apple Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >