Saucy Portobello Pitas Recipe
- CUCUMBER SAUCE:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup minced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 pita pocket halves, warmed
- 8 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 8 slices tomato
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cucumber sauce ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Sprinkle mushrooms with pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and Greek seasoning. In a large skillet, cook mushrooms in oil for 3-5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- 3. Cut pita breads in half; line each with a slice of onion and tomato. Cut mushrooms in half; place in pitas. Serve with cucumber sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
2 filled pita halves with 1/3 cup sauce equals 303 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 411 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fat.