Saucy Pork Chop Skillet Recipe
- 3 cups instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 boneless pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork chops on both sides. Remove from the pan.
- 2. Cook and stir onion in drippings over medium-high heat until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Return pork to skillet. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 6-8 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in pork reads 145°.
- 3. Remove pork to a serving plate. Mix flour and water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over pork; serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 436 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 382 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 38 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.