Saucy Poached Pears Recipe
- 6 medium pears
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
- 1. Peel pears, leaving stem attached. Place in a Dutch oven and cover with water; add mint. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-12 minutes or until pears are tender but firm. Remove with a slotted spoon. Refrigerate until serving.
- 2. For sauce, in a blender, combine the oranges, strawberries and sugar; cover and process until blended. Serve with poached pears; sprinkle with pistachios. Yield: 6 servings.
1 pear with 1/3 cup sauce equals 159 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.