Saucy Pizza Burgers
"This burger is simple and tastes like a little bit of Italy," reveals field editor Diane Hixon of Niceville, Florida.
4 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine beef and garlic salt. Shape into eight
- patties; top four of patties with cheese. Cover with remaining
- patties; press edges to seal. Refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the pizza sauce, mushrooms
- and oregano; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- Pan-fry, grill or broil burgers until no longer pink. Spread bottoms
- of buns with a little of the sauce; top with burgers, onion and
- remaining sauce. Replace tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 490 calories, 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 918 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 34 g protein.