- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine beef and garlic salt. Shape into eight patties; top four of patties with cheese. Cover with remaining patties; press edges to seal. Refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the pizza sauce, mushrooms and oregano; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- Pan-fry, grill or broil burgers until no longer pink. Spread bottoms of buns with a little of the sauce; top with burgers, onion and remaining sauce. Replace tops. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now