Saucy Mandarin Duck Recipe
For something a little different, try this savory, sweet duck dish that is flavored with Asian seasonings and mandarin oranges. It's a nice change of pace. For flair, garnish each serving with toasted sesame seeds.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + marinating Cook: 4-3/4 hours YIELD:3 servings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 domestic duck (4 to 4-1/2 pounds), skinned, deboned and cut into cubes
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup green pepper strips (1/4-in. thick)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. For marinade, in a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Pour 3/4 cup into a large resealable plastic bag; add the duck. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. Transfer duck to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker; add reserved marinade. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until tender. Skim fat.
- 3. In a small saucepan, saute mushrooms and green pepper in butter. Combine the cornstarch, ginger and milk until smooth. Stir into mushroom mixture; add to slow cooker.
- 4. Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Just before serving, stir in oranges. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC