Saucy Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups cavatappi or spiral pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until golden brown. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in process cheese until melted.
- Drain pasta; add to cheese mixture. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bread crumbs. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Saucy Mac & Cheese
Sort By :
I put the cheddar cheese in the sauce instead of as a garnish, but it was still really really yummy. I disagree with the person saying it's more expensive than the boxed version because of the amount per serving differance. So yummy!
This is the best Mac & cheese recipe I've found. It remains creamy even after frozen and reheated.
Delicious recipe very simple and fast to make
My family (and my teenage children's friends) all LOVE this recipe! In our home, it is much more cost effective to make this than to purchase a small box of prepared Veleeta mac & cheese, and so much smoother! It is a request when the basketball team shows up, as well as my daughter's friends. Thanks for the great recipe!
Tastes just like the Velveeta Mac and Cheese you buy in a box... but takes alot more work and costs more money. The fried panko bread crumbs were a very good addition. It was pretty good but we will not be making it again.