Saucy Italian Sausage Sandwiches Recipe
I created this recipe years ago as a way to satisfy my sons' hearty appetites. I still make them for my husband and me. Any leftovers freeze well for a fast meal in the future.
- 8 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 16 strips
- 8 Italian rolls, split
- Additional butter
- Additional Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, cook sausages over medium heat in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same kettle, saute onion, chopped green pepper and celery until tender. Stir in celery leaves, parsley and garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Add the next 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Return sausage to kettle; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- 3. Discard bay leaf. In a large skillet, saute pepper strips in remaining oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Butter bottom halves of rolls; top with sausage, 1/4 cup sauce and two pepper strips. Replace tops. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Refrigerate or freeze remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC