Saucy Italian Roast
"This tender roast is one of my favorite fix-and-forget meals," says Jan Roat of Red Lodge, Montana. "I thicken the juices with a little flour and add ketchup, then serve the sauce and beef slices over pasta."
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
- Hot cooked pasta
- Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over roast. Place in
- a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with mushrooms and onion. Combine the
- spaghetti sauce and wine; pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Slice
- roast; serve with pasta and pan juices. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/3 pound (calculated without pasta) equals 218 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 415 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.