Saucy Green Beans Recipe
A special cooked sauce added to fresh green beans makes this a unique and hearty side dish and a pretty complement to any entree. -Hazel Holley, Samson, Alabama
- 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion in butter. Stir in flour and sugar until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in the sour cream, parsley and vinegar until blended (do not boil).
- Drain beans; place in a serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Top with sauce and bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Green Beans in Reminisce November/December 2003, p48
Reviews for Saucy Green Beans(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Condiments >
- Green Bean Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Side Dishes >