Saucy Garlic Chicken Recipe
- 4 whole garlic bulbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Hot cooked pasta
- Chopped tomato and minced fresh parsley, optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut tops off of garlic bulbs; brush bulbs with 1 tablespoon oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place spinach in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil on both sides; place over spinach.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 2 cups cheese, nutmeg and remaining salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a blender; squeeze softened garlic into blender. Cover and process until smooth. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170° and sauce is bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer. Serve with pasta. Sprinkle with tomato and parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Saucy Garlic Chicken(27)
Sort By :
Wow! I was a little nervous with the amount of garlic this recipe called for but it has turned out to be one of our favorite dishes. It makes for a beautiful presentation so it looks like you spent all day preparing. This is a must have recipe!
Takes a little bit of prep but it was worth it. I served it over gnocchi and it was a great dinner.
this was rich and wonderful. I was surprised at how pretty it looked on the plate.. M thought sauce should be thinner and it is for leftovers. i would like to add an edge to this dish with a chilli or ginger or...But i would like to make this again soon.
As Mary Poppins this recipe is "practically perfect in every way!
I thought it wasn't bad but my husband didn't like it. I won't be making it again.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Pasta >
- Baking Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Garlic Chicken >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >