Saucy Garlic Chicken Recipe
- 4 whole garlic bulbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Hot cooked pasta
- Chopped tomato and minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut tops off of garlic bulbs; brush bulbs with 1 tablespoon oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, place spinach in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil on both sides; place over spinach.
- 3. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 2 cups cheese, nutmeg and remaining salt and pepper.
- 4. Transfer to a blender; squeeze softened garlic into blender. Cover and process until smooth. Pour mixture over chicken.
- 5. Cover and bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170° and sauce is bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer. Serve with pasta. Sprinkle with tomato and parsley if desired.
- 6. Freeze option: Substitute 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach that has been thawed and squeezed dry for fresh spinach. Cool unbaked casserole and sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 425°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in chicken to read 170°. Yield: 6 servings.
1 chicken breast with 3/4 cup sauce (calculated without pasta) equals 601 calories, 32 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 163 mg cholesterol, 1,066 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 55 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.