“Roasted garlic lends a rich flavor to this appetizing entree, and it complements the spinach nicely. Ideal for special occasions, the recipe can be assembled in advance and popped in the oven when you and yours are ready to eat.”—Joanna Johnson, Flower Mound, Texas
- 2 whole garlic bulb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4-1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Hot cooked pasta
- Chopped tomato and minced fresh parsley, optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut tops off of garlic bulbs; brush bulbs with half the oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place spinach in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with half the salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil on both sides; place over spinach.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheese, nutmeg and remaining salt. Transfer to a blender; squeeze softened garlic into blender. Cover and process until smooth. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170° and sauce is bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer. Serve with pasta. Sprinkle with tomato and parsley if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Garlic Chicken for Two in Taste of Home
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Saucy Garlic Chicken for Two
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review