Saucy Fish Sandwiches Recipe
You'll be "hooked" once you try these homemade fish sandwiches. The golden cornmeal breading coats the fillets nicely, and the sauce is tangy. One taste, and you'll know you've got a great meal on the line. -Elizabeth LeBlanc, Bourg, Louisiana
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 panfish or cod fillets (about 1 pound)
- Canola oil
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; cover and chill at least 1 hour. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat egg and milk. Cut fish to fit buns; dip fillets into egg mixture, then coat with flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, brown fish in a small amount of oil for 3-5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve on buns with lettuce and sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Fish Sandwiches in Taste of Home August/September 1995, p33
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Saucy Fish Sandwiches(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review