Saucy Cranberry Cake Recipe
The fresh cranberries in this dessert add a little zing! “I ask my mom to bake this cake for me every year on my birthday,” says Lisa Seehafer of Appleton, Wisconsin. “I also love to make it at Christmastime.”
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- CARAMEL BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cranberries.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Serve with warm cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 396 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 367 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC