Saucy Chocolate Cake Recipe
I get the cake in the oven first so it can bake while we're eating. It's wonderful served warm.—Marilyn Janssen, Dawson Creek, British Columbia
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Ice cream or whipped topping
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cocoa. Stir in boiling water until smooth. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, cream butter, vanilla and remaining sugar. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining cocoa; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat well. Pour the chocolate sauce into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls onto sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream. Garnish with cherries if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 260 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 379 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC