Saucy Cherry Meatballs
Water chestnuts lend a crunch to these moist ground beef and pork sausage meatballs. The baked bites are glazed with a sweet sauce made with cherry pie filling. "They're perfect for potlucks or parties," notes Marina Castle-Henry of Burbank, California.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 7 slices bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- CHERRY SAUCE:
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a bowl, combine the milk, soy sauce, bread cubes, garlic salt and
- onion powder. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well.
- Stir in water chestnuts. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with foil; place meatballs
- in pan. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 10 minutes or until a
- thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- In a large skillet, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil.