Enchiladas for dessert? When they're filled with fruit and covered with a sweet syrup, why not? Apple or blueberry pie filling is good inside the tortillas too.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry, apple or blueberry pie filling
- 16 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, water, butter and lemon juice to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until mixture has the consistency of syrup. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of pie filling off-center on each tortilla; fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour sugar syrup over tortillas; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans and cinnamon. Bake 15 minutes longer or until golden brown and sauce bubbles around the edges. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Cherry Enchiladas in Country April/May 2005, p51
Reviews for Saucy Cherry Enchiladas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review