Brussels sprouts are extra special dressed up for the holidays in a mild white sauce and dotted with pimientos. Washington field editor Margery Bryan of Royal City shares the recipe.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- Cook the brussels sprouts according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in brown sugar, flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low.
- Drain sprouts; cut in half. Add to sauce and heat through. Stir in sour cream and pimientos. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Brussels Sprouts in Taste of Home December/January 2001, p10
Reviews for Saucy Brussels Sprouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 13, 2015
"Nice sauce, I liked the addition of the brown sugar, it sweetened this normally somewhat bitter vegetable up a bit."
Reviewed Oct. 18, 2014
"Lots of flavour."
Reviewed May. 20, 2009
"This was great! Thanks for the recipe!"
Reviewed Apr. 10, 2009
"I'm not much of a brussel sprout eater, but this recipe is good."