Saucy Bratwurst Supper Recipe
- 4 to 6 fresh Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. In a large skillet, brown bratwurst; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, vinegar, bay leaf, caraway, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- 2. Return bratwurst to skillet. Add apple juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- 3. Discard bay leaf. Remove bratwurst; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually add to sauce mixture; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with the bratwurst. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 251 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 520 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer