- 4 to 6 fresh bratwurst links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large skillet, brown bratwurst; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, vinegar, bay leaf, caraway, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Return bratwurst to skillet. Add apple juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Discard bay leaf. Remove bratwurst; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually add to sauce mixture; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with the bratwurst. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Saucy Bratwurst Supper
Sort By :
"I agree with the reviewer below--the amount of sauce might be a bit much for the number of brats you're cooking BUT the flavor is super! Something different other than grilling the brats. The sauce IS great over mashed potatoes and a good way to use up all that sauce. I confess, I have always hated caraway seeds so I leave them out--it's just as good that way too. Also, I don't like things to be too sweet so I reduced the apple juice to 1/2 C. and added in 1/2 cup of chicken stock. I think that's the perfect blend but do it your way!"
"This is delicious, BUT it makes a ton of sauce. We freeze the leftover sauce and when we're in the mood for it again, we buy a new package of bratwurst links, brown them, then add the sauce. Easy!"