For a change-of-pace dinner menu, I pull out this sensational bratwurst recipe. The caraway and other seasonings give this meaty main dish wonderful old-world flair. My husband thinks it's terrific. -Robin Huber, Calgary, Alberta
- 4 to 6 fresh bratwurst links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large skillet, brown bratwurst; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, vinegar, bay leaf, caraway, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Return bratwurst to skillet. Add apple juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Discard bay leaf. Remove bratwurst; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually add to sauce mixture; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with the bratwurst. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Bratwurst Supper in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p29
Reviews for Saucy Bratwurst Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review