Saucy Bow Ties and Broccoli Recipe
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta
- 3-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, basil, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 13-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, adding the broccoli during the last 5 minutes. Drain; top with tomato sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup pasta mixture with 1/2 cup sauce equals 213 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.