Saucy Beef with Broccoli Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1. In a small bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- 2. Stir-fry broccoli in remaining oil 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add green onions; cook 1-2 minutes longer or just until tender.
- 3. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to pan; heat through. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 313 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 816 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.