Saucy Beef with Broccoli Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in 1 teaspoon oil for 1-2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, stir-fry broccoli in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add onions; cook 2 minutes longer. Return beef to the pan.
- 3. Stir cornstarch mixture and gradually add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 3 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 313 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 816 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.