- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a small bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- Stir-fry broccoli in remaining oil 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add green onions; cook 1-2 minutes longer or just until tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to pan; heat through. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Saucy Beef with Broccoli
"Great flavor, cooking time was perfect. Will definitely make again. .. thanks"
"LOVE fresh ginger! The ginger really adds flavor to this dish. It was very simple and great for busy weeknights. We served it over some cauliflower rice for a complete, healthy meal!"
"Wonderful!! I had to adjust the amount of sugar to 1 tsp. I did not have any sherry, so I used balsamic vinegar. You can adjust any of the ingredients to suit yourself. My husband and I served it over white, steamed rice. We loved it."
"decent recipe, but I felt this was lacking flavor. I added some additional garlic and a dash or two of red pepper flakes. We finished all of the dish, but I don't think I will make again. There wasn't as much flavor as I was hoping for."
"Delicious and so very quick and easy. I bought my sirloin tip steak from Aldi's and it was already sliced in very thin large pieces, they called it carne asade style, and it was really convenient to just slice that in to strips and worked wonderfully for a stir-fry! Very healthy, very filling and delicious! I did add diced baby carrots along with the broccoli and it made a very colorful, appealing presentation!"
"Made this tonight, but there was very little sauce as is. I tripled the sauce portion so there was plenty for the rice, too. A touch on the bland side, but a little extra garlic would probably solve the problem. Mushrooms would be good in it, too. We'll make this one again."
"Instead of using fresh garlic I used garlic powder in its place. I thought I gave it really good flavor. My husband loved this meal and I served over brown rice. I will definitely be making this again. It's a healthy dish and very filling."
"Really not much flavor when recipe is followed as is."
"Not sure why all the 5 stars. Followed the recipe as written. Was surprised that it had you cook the beef with absolutely no seasoning. Adding the beef later to the finished sauce imparts almost no flavor. Ended up with incredibly bland meat. Total waste of a good steak."
"I also would probably add fresh mushroom. Served with orzo and even with jasmine rice."