- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a small bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- Stir-fry broccoli in remaining oil 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add green onions; cook 1-2 minutes longer or just until tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to pan; heat through. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Saucy Beef with Broccoli
Sort By :
"Not sure why all the 5 stars. Followed the recipe as written. Was surprised that it had you cook the beef with absolutely no seasoning. Adding the beef later to the finished sauce imparts almost no flavor. Ended up with incredibly bland meat. Total waste of a good steak."
"I also would probably add fresh mushroom. Served with orzo and even with jasmine rice."
"Only change I would make is to add mushrooms - great recipe"
"Friday is Chinese night in our home, and this recipe is quick and just as good as take out. Double the soy sauce (reduced-sodium is a must! the regular was just way too salty) and ginger and add some julienned carrots or chopped red bell peppers for extra color. Sprinkle with sesame seeds for a professional presentation."
"I absolutely LOVE this recipe. I am using the Weight Watchers plan to lose weight, and this recipe helps me keep within my points without feeling like I am being deprived....I switched it up and used chicken and chicken broth instead of beef...and tossed in some mushrooms. Awesome!!!"