- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in 1 teaspoon oil for 1-2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, stir-fry broccoli in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add onions; cook 2 minutes longer. Return beef to the pan.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and gradually add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 3 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Saucy Beef with Broccoli
Sort By :
"Only change I would make is to add mushrooms - great recipe"
"Friday is Chinese night in our home, and this recipe is quick and just as good as take out. Double the soy sauce (reduced-sodium is a must! the regular was just way too salty) and ginger and add some julienned carrots or chopped red bell peppers for extra color. Sprinkle with sesame seeds for a professional presentation."
"I absolutely LOVE this recipe. I am using the Weight Watchers plan to lose weight, and this recipe helps me keep within my points without feeling like I am being deprived....I switched it up and used chicken and chicken broth instead of beef...and tossed in some mushrooms. Awesome!!!"
"This recipe is fantastic, even my picky eater loves it! The sauce is wonderful. I use frozen broccoli instead of fresh and it turns out perfect every time!"