I've been trying to incorporate more whole grains into my family's diet. This saucy bulgur dinner has all the southwest flavors they love. —Marcia Doyle, Pompano, Florida
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until cabbage and rice are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Beef and Cabbage Dinner in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p49
Reviews for Saucy Beef and Cabbage Dinner
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review