Saucy Beef and Cabbage Dinner
I've been trying to incorporate more whole grains into my family's diet. This saucy bulgur dinner has all the southwest flavors they love. —Marcia Doyle, Pompano, Florida
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and mushrooms over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until cabbage and rice are tender.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 253 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber,