Saucy Beef and Cabbage Dinner Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until cabbage and rice are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 253 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable
Reviews for Saucy Beef and Cabbage Dinner
"This tasted almost like my mom's stuffed cabbage rolls!"
"This is way too sweet. Would cut down or cut out the brown sugar. Also, would use a jar of spaghetti sauce for more flavor. Too bland in spicing. Moving on..."
"Not sure where the "buger" in the description comes from, since there is none in the recipe. It was a little bland and actually needed salt--which is unusual for me to say. Tomato juice must've been too low in salt. I also mixed the spices and tomato paste in the tomato juice since it would have been difficult to mix in the pot before the cabbage cooked down. It was actually a bit bland even though it sounded yummy. I added a little hot sauce which helped, but is not the solution. I think I'd change my rating to a 3 star until I figure out how to yumm this up."