Barbecued chicken gets a makeover in this recipe. The combination of ingredients makes for a mellow flavor that tastes more grown up than the original. It's great over rice, pasta or potatoes. —Sharon Fritz, Morristown, TN
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked brown rice, optional
- Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Top with onion and tomatoes. In a small bowl, mix tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, orange juice and seasonings; pour over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender. If desired, serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Place cooked chicken mixture in freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Saucy BBQ Chicken Thighs in Simple & Delicious December/January 2014, p1-31
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Saucy BBQ Chicken Thighs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2014
"Have to make this again!"