My aunt was affectionately called "The Barbecue Queen". As the aroma of her grilled chicken filled the air, folks in town would stop by just to sample her scrumptious food.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup cola
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds) cut up
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 15 ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Set aside 1 cup for basting. Store remaining sauce in the refrigerator for another use.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Baste with marinade; grill 5-10 minutes longer or until juices run clear, turning and basting frequently with marinade. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Barbecued Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p89
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Saucy Barbecued Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review