Saucy Apple Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and mix well. Add the dry ingredients; mix well. Fold in the apples and walnuts.
- Spread in a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done.
- For sauce, combine sugar, cornstarch and cream in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add butter and vanilla; stir until butter is melted. Serve warm over warm cake. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Saucy Apple Cake(2)
Sort By :
I have been making this recipe since the magazine came out in 1994 , it is great. Dh eats it without the sauce, but I love the extra sweet sauce.
I have been making this recipe since the magazine came out in 1974 , it is great. Dh eats it without the sauce, but I love the extra sweet sauce.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Cake >
- Apple Cakes >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >