Saturday Night Pizza Recipe
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, oregano, salt and garlic powder. Add water and oil; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 4. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a 14-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 450° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 5. Spread crust with spaghetti sauce. Top with spinach, mushrooms, pepper, onion and sausage. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 298 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 756 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.