Satisfying Lentil Soup Recipe
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the ginger, curry, garlic, cumin and coriander; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the water, broth and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in the cilantro, salt and pepper. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 203 calories, 3g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 15g fiber), 14g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Satisfying Lentil Soup
"We have been using this recipe since it first came out in 2008. My whole family loves it! We have 10 picky eaters and every one of them enjoy this soup. I do add kielbasa to it and it only makes it better."