Satisfying Lentil Soup Recipe
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the ginger, curry, garlic, cumin and coriander; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the water, broth and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in the cilantro, salt and pepper. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 203 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 415 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 15 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.