- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the ginger, curry, garlic, cumin and coriander; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, broth and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in the cilantro, salt and pepper. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Satisfying Lentil Soup in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p17
Reviews for Satisfying Lentil Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 31, 2014
"We have been using this recipe since it first came out in 2008. My whole family loves it! We have 10 picky eaters and every one of them enjoy this soup. I do add kielbasa to it and it only makes it better."