Satisfying Cremini Barley Recipe
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello (cremini) mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and carrot in oil for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; saute for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Stir in the spinach, beans, pepper and barley; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Stir in parsley. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup equals 255 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 532 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.