- 3/4 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups salsa, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook rice according to package directions; cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, 1/2 cup salsa, onion, egg, celery, parsley, cilantro, garlic and seasonings; stir in rice. Add beef and turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into two 8x4-in. loaves on a greased rack in a broiler pan. Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165°.
Spread with remaining salsa; sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Freeze option: Bake meat loaves without topping. Cool; securely wrap in plastic wrap, then foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap meat loaves; place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Reheat in a preheated 350° oven 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°; top as directed. Yield: 2 loaves (6 servings each).
Originally published as Sassy Salsa Meat Loaves in Light Recipes 2015, px
Reviews for Sassy Salsa Meat Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review