Sara's Summer Rolls Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 ounces uncooked thick rice noodles
- 12 spring roll wrappers or rice papers (8 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1. In a large skillet, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add the bean sprouts, peas and carrot; cover and boil for 3-4 minutes or just until tender. Drain and immediately place vegetables in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Cook rice noodles according to package directions; drain.
- 3. Soak a spring roll wrapper in cool water for 30 seconds; place on a flat surface and pat dry. Place 1 heaping tablespoonful of chicken down the center of the wrapper; top with a scant 3 tablespoons vegetable mixture. Top with noodles and cabbage.
- 4. Fold both ends over filling; fold one long side over the filling, then roll up tightly. Place seam side down on a plate. Repeat. Cover with damp paper towels until serving. Cut summer rolls in half. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 127 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Sara's Summer Rolls
"Very pretty and super tasty! I used the ingredients listed and my guests loved them!!"
"I first tried spring rolls at a restaurant recently, and when I saw this recipe, I had to try it. Finding the ingredients was a challenge, but worth it! Flavor was terrific! I will have to perfect my wrapping technique, though. Made some substitutions. Used snap pea sprouts instead of bean sprouts (since store was out), and I used broccoli slaw (that had some carrot and red cabbage) instead of the sugar snap peas. Didn't want to buy a whole head of red cabbage, so I used more uncooked broccoli slaw instead of the red cabbage."