This recipe was inspired by my granddaughter. One Christmas, she woke up in the middle of the night before Santa had delivered the gifts. She didn’t think there was any way he could still have time to come to our house. I told her not to worry because it was all the cookies and milk that everyone left for Santa that keeps him awake all night. It helps when the cookies have espresso in them, which these do!
Recommended: Homemade Smiles Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Cream butter, sugars and molasses until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, espresso powder and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Add cranberries and pecans; mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until set, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Santa's Wake-Up Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2017