Santa's Sugar Cookies
My mom helped me make these yummy treats for Christmas. After we baked the cookies, I had fun dipping them into the melted chocolate and sprinkling on the peppermint candy pieces.—Mary Kate Schilter, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
48 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips, melted
- 14 peppermint candies, crushed
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar and
- salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for
- at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Shape dough into 3/4-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are
- lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Dip one end of each cookie into melted chocolate; sprinkle with
- crushed peppermint. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- Yield: 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 128 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 12 mg sodium,