VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in milk just until moistened. Stir in fruit and nuts.
- On a floured surface, roll or pat dough into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Cut into 4-in. x 1/2-in. strips. Form into "S" shapes; place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over cookies. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Santa's Fruit & Nut Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p76