Santa Fe Stew Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 beef eye round roast (2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt to taste
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef on all sides. Stir in the remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Santa Fe Stew
Sort By :
I also let it cook longer , more like 2-1/2hrs and the meat was so tender and it thickened up nicely.
Terrific! I made a few changes.....I added a teaspoon of oregano and a bay leaf in with the spices, added 5 cloves of minced garlic, replaced the water with beer. I used beef stew meat instead of the roast. I didn't add the pinto beans until the last 45 minutes along with a couple peeled and diced potatoes.Also added in some chopped fresh cilantro at the end. Served with shredded Monterey Jack/cheddar blend,sour cream and warmed flour tortillas on the side-everyone's bowl was clean,barely any leftover!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >