Santa Fe Rice Salad
This warm rice and bean salad served with crunchy tortilla chips is sure to make any mealtime a fiesta! "My whole family enjoys this snappy salad," reports Marilyn Sherwood of Fremont, Nebraska. "Occasionally I add other ingredients, depending on what I have on hand, but this combination is most popular at our house."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 jar (8 ounces) picante sauce
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- In a nonstick skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil for 6-7 minutes
- or until tender. Stir in the rice, beans, corn and picante sauce
- until heated through. Place 1 cup of lettuce on each of six salad
- plates. Top with 1 cup rice mixture, 2 tablespoons cheese and 1
- tablespoon sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup salad with 10 tortilla chips) equals 353 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 800 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable,